The two heavyweight titans had been in negotiations for almost a year to bring the long-awaited battle to fruition, with the pre-Christmas date all but confirmed ahead of Fury’s showdown with MMA star Francis Ngannou.
However, Fury and Usyk’s plans were scuppered by the fearsome performance shown by the Cameroonian fighter against the Gypsy King in their ‘Battle of the Baddest’ clash in Riyadh.
Ngannou took Fury to all 10 rounds and even suceeded in knocking the lineal heavyweight champion down in the early stages of the contest.
A black eye and a cut forehead were among the injuries inflicted on the 35-year-old by Ngannou, which prompted a delay to his meeting with Usyk factoring in increased recovery time.
Frank Warren has teased an alternative fight night for December 23 after Tyson Fury’s match-up with Oleksandyr Usyk was delayed
The two fighters’ (pictured) long-awaited meeting was pushed back after Fury’s unexpectedly difficult clash with Francis Ngannou
But Fury’s promoter Warren was keen to tell boxing fans that they could anticipate a landmark line-up on the original date, albeit one a little different to their initial expectations.
‘There’s gonna be a big night in December, we’ll be announcing it very soon and it will be massive,’ Warren told talkSPORT. ‘You’re gonna love it, I promise you you’re gonna love it.
‘I can’t give you all the information at the moment, but everything’s going in the right direction for something to be a historical night of boxing.’
‘It’s gonna feature boxers from all over the world. You will be surprised by the names.
‘There’s some great fights involving British fighters too.’
Warren also reassured fans that the Fury-Usyk match-up will be going ahead at a later date, after the Ukrainian fighter squared off with Fury in Saudi Arabia in the wake of his split-decision victory.
‘That fight is signed, it was originally expected to take place on December 23, it’s been pushed back, and it will take place in the early part of the New Year,’ Warren added.
The 36-year-old is keen for his next match-up after dispatching Danuel Dubois in August
‘That fight will happen, massive fight. The first time an undisputed (heavyweight) fight has taken place this century.
‘For me as a promoter, it just gets better and better. The events get bigger and bigger and it’s just fabulous.’
Usyk’s promoter told Mail Sport’s boxing podcast The Hook that the date of the contest could be announced as soon as this week.
The 36-year-old is currently taking part in his pre-fight training camp in Valencia, and when asked about potential timings for the fight, Usyk shared that he was hopeful of meeting Fury in ‘February’.