OTTAWA — Public Health Ontario is reporting 35 new cases of COVID-19 in Ottawa.
A full local snapshot from Ottawa Public Health is due this afternoon. Figures from OPH often differ from Public Health Ontario’s because the two health agencies pull data for their respective daily snapshot reports at different times of the day.
Across the province, health officials reporting 835 new cases of COVID-19, the highest single-day figure since early June. Another seven Ontarians have died due to COVID-19, but the province says six of them died more than two months ago and were added today because of a data cleanup.
Another 17 new cases were reported across eastern Ontario on Saturday, including 11 in the Eastern Ontario Health Unit, three in Hastings Prince Edward, two in Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox and Addington and one in Renfrew County. The province removed one case from its total for Leeds, Grenville and Lanark.
Health Minister Christine Elliott says of the 835 new cases of COVID-19 reported on Saturday, 675 cases are in individuals who are not fully vaccinated or have an unknown vaccination status and 160 are in fully vaccinated individuals.
There are 343 people in hospitals across Ontario with COVID-19, 30 of whom are fully vaccinated. Among 162 patients in intensive care, eight are fully vaccinated.
Ottawa Public Health says the risk of COVID-19 infection among the unvaccinated vaccine-eligible population is 22 times higher than it is for the fully vaccinated population.\
COVID-19 VACCINES IN OTTAWA
Ottawa Public Health updates vaccine numbers on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
As of Friday:
- Ottawa residents with 1 dose (12+): 787,553 (+2,488)
- Ottawa residents with 2 doses (12+): 724,834 (+3,630)
- Share of population 12 and older with at least one dose: 85 per cent
- Share of population 12 and older fully vaccinated: 79 per cent
- Total doses received in Ottawa: 1,402,040 (+20,250)
*Total doses received does not include doses shipped to pharmacies and primary care clinics, but statistics on Ottawa residents with one or two doses includes anyone with an Ottawa postal code who was vaccinated anywhere in Ontario.
COVID-19 TESTING IN OTTAWA
The Ottawa COVID-19 Testing Taskforce says 1,188 swabs were processed at local assessment centres on Thursday and labs performed 1,682 tests.
The average testing positivity rate for the week of Aug. 20 to 26 is 1.6 per cent.
The average turnaround from the time a swab is taken at a testing site to the result is 21 hours.
CASES OF COVID-19 AROUND THE REGION
- Eastern Ontario Health Unit: 11 new cases
- Hastings Prince Edward Public Health: Three new cases
- Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox & Addington Public Health: Two new cases
- Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit: One case removed from total
- Renfrew County and District Health Unit: One new case