- Shakur Stevenson has hit back at Devin Haney for saying he had a better resume
- He said he was a superior boxer and his rival had been given more opportunities
- Latest as huge list of big fighters head for Saudi on December 23: The Hook
Stevenson faces Edwin De Los Santos on Thursday night hoping to become a world champion in the lightweight division – having already conquered the feather and super-feather weight classes.
The 26-year-old has been heavily linked to a fight with Haney, having turned down the chance to fight him in July after after he was offered a measly split of just 75/25.
Haney has since moved up to super lightweight to fight for Regis Prograis’ world title after unanimously beating Vasily Lomachenko in May, leaving fans questioning whether he will later drop back down to face Stevenson.
But after it was put to Stevenson that Haney claimed he had a better resume – and had been ‘ducking’ the fighter – he was far from impressed, insisting he was the superior boxer and that his rival had been presented with better opportunities.
Shakur Stevenson has hit back at claims that Devin Haney has a better resume than him
He insisted he was the superior fighter and his rival (R) had been given more opportunities
‘If you scratch Lomachenko off his resume and you put my resume up against his, I think mine is better,’ he said exclusively to Mail Sport’s podcast The Hook. ‘With the Lomachenko fight it put him at a different level because he had the opportunity. Devin got better opportunities than me.
‘He got the opportunity to fight [Lomachenko] for every belt – that’s an opportunity. I didn’t get the opportunity to fight Lomachenko on pay-per-view card. If we fought, that would be a big fight. We tried to do that and he said no.
‘He can say that, that’s cool if he wants to run with that. I hear him, but ask him who the better fighter is. Really I’m a better fighter than you bro. I’m in the gym all the time, I eat sleep boxing. You party, social media, running round doing other s***. I’m locked in. Once the opportunity comes you’re going to see.’
But Stevenson was less optimistic about the likelihood of Haney dropping down after his fight with Prograis on December 9.
‘That’s basically saying if he wants to move down and fight me for the belt, he would be first in line. It would be 50/50 split it if happens,’ he added.
‘Use your two eyes – we all know Haney is not going up to 140 then coming back down to 135 to fight me. That doesn’t make sense. He’s just doing that to be petty.
It came after Haney criticised Stevenson for rejecting a 75-25 split to fight him in the summer
‘I’m champion, he vacated his belt, he carried on with his business and now I’m the champion in the division after I beat [Edwin] De Los Santos.
‘I could see myself moving up to 140 but I’ve got to get my feet wet at 135. I’m really small so making weight is really easy for me right now. I don’t see it any time soon but if it makes sense I wouldn’t mind going up to 140.’
It comes after Haney dismissed Stevenson’s unhappiness with his low financial package and said if he really believed he would win the fight, he would have taken the low 25 per cent split – saying it would have led to the same opportunities he had.
‘Shakur knows what time it is with me,’ he said. ‘He knows that my offer was legitimate, and if he really believed in himself and if he believed that I was everything that he claimed that I was, he would have taken the fight,’
‘It was the most money that he would have ever made in all his fights put together with that 25%, and that’s facts, that’s 100%. If he felt like I was so easy, so green, whatever he says, then he would have taken the fight, and he would have had a shot at the undisputed [lightweight] titles like I did.’