Home News Deontay Wilder shuts down talk of retirement following loss to Joshua Parker...

Deontay Wilder shuts down talk of retirement following loss to Joshua Parker as he tells fans, 'this is not the end' amid rumors of mega-fight with Anthony Joshua… despite hinting he could step away from boxing

10
0

Deontay Wilder has insisted that his loss to Joseph Parker will not mark the end of his professional boxing career. 

The American suffered defeat via unanimous decision against Parker during the Day of Reckoning co-main event Saturday night, with judges scoring it 120-108, 118-11 and 118-110.

And the 38-year-old appeared to hint that he could retire as he spoke to DAZN Sports ringside in the immediate aftermath of the loss. 

But he later shut down any suggestion that he could step away from boxing as he told fans that ‘we’ll be back’, while also apologizing for letting them down in a short video shared to social media.  

‘We came up short tonight,’ he began. ‘I don’t know what happened to be honest. My timing was off and I didn’t let my hands go like I was supposed to. Sometimes it get like that but you live to see another fight. You live to see another moment, that’s all that matters. I’m still full of happiness, I’m still full of joy, still full of smiles. 

Deontay Wilder suffered defeat via unanimous decision against Joseph Parker on Saturday

Deontay Wilder suffered defeat via unanimous decision against Joseph Parker on Saturday

Following his Day of Reckoning loss, the American appeared to hint that he could retire

Following his Day of Reckoning loss, the American appeared to hint that he could retire 

But taking to social media later in the evening, the 38-year-old shut down retirement talk

But taking to social media later in the evening, the 38-year-old shut down retirement talk 

‘Sorry if I let anyone down. But we’ll be back though, that’s the good thing about it.’

Wilder stressed the importance of his family as he added that he couldn’t wait to get home before insisting once again that his career hadn’t reached its end just yet. 

‘I thank you so much for the love and support that I’ve gotten in Riyadh and all my fans around the world,’ he added. ‘I thank you, I appreciate you so much. This is not the end, we’ll be back.’ 

Wilder’s comments came after he had remained coy about his future following the bout, claiming: ‘We’ll see what happens.

‘We still have a little bit left, but I did a great job managing my money,’ he told DAZN Sports after the fight. 

Rumors had suggested this week that the American had signed a two-fight contract to step into the ring with Anthony Joshua, who beat Otto Wallin in the fifth round of the other co-main event, next year. 

On whether a potential bout against Anthony Joshua could have been a distraction, he added: ‘A little bit. It was a lot of talk about a lot of things. We make no excuses. We’ll be back for sure.

‘We have a little bit more left. I’ve done a great job with managing my money and investing. I’m a happy fighter. I’ll be back soon and if not, it’s been a pleasure. ‘

Anthony Joshua had earlier left the door open for the much-anticipated fight with Wilder

Anthony Joshua had earlier left the door open for the much-anticipated fight with Wilder

But following Wilder’s loss at the hands of Parker, Eddie Hearn confirmed that Joshua will likely face Filip Hrgovic for the vacant IBF heavyweight world title after Wilder was unable to hold up his end of the bargain. 

According to talkSPORT, Hearn confirmed that Wilder’s defeat had scuppered plans for the much-anticipated showdown, saying: ‘We signed for Wilder, he lost tonight. Maybe it’s a blessing because AJ wants to become a three-time heavyweight world champion. It’s going to be AJ vs Hrgovic for the world title.’

But comments after his win, Joshua appeared to hint that the rumored two-fight deal could in fact still happen.

‘I wasn’t watching,’ Joshua replied when asked how he reacted to Wilder’s loss. ‘I was just focusing on myself. I heard Deontay lost, so what? 

‘He’ll be back. I’m going to take the higher ground, and I hope he comes back.’

Eddie Hearn confirmed that Wilder's defeat had scuppered plans for a showdown with Joshua

Eddie Hearn confirmed that Wilder’s defeat had scuppered plans for a showdown with Joshua

Filip Hrgovic (pictured) made short work of his fight with Mark de Mori on the undercard

Filip Hrgovic (pictured) made short work of his fight with Mark de Mori on the undercard

The fight was adjudged 118-111, 118-110 and 120-108 in Parker’s favor, with Wilder now having suffered the third defeat of his career.  

Wilder, who now holds a record of 43-3-1, added that while he could potentially return to the ring, he was content with what he had achieved in his life. 

‘I’ve found a lot of peace and happiness in my life,’ he said. 

‘I’ve been wearing this smile all week long. I’m blessed. I gave it all I’ve got. You can’t quit or give up, you must keep going.’