Devin Haney’s gun charge dropped ‘due to insufficient evidence’ as lightweight world champion escapes punishment after Hollywood arrest
- Devin Haney was arrested in July after a vehicle was pulled over in Hollywood
- The boxer faced a felony charge of carrying a concealed weapon in a vehicle
- DailyMail.com provides all the latest international sports news
Lightweight world champion Devin Haney has escaped a felony charge of carrying a concealed weapon in a vehicle, the authorities have confirmed.
The 24-year-old boxer was arrested in Hollywood last month after police pulled over the vehicle he was travelling in. They allegedly found a semi-automatic handgun.
Haney was initially released on $35,000 bail and due back in court this month.
But the case has now been dropped ‘due to insufficient evidence’, the Los Angeles district attorney’s office said.
It’s claimed the boxer was not made aware of the decision until last Thursday – the day he appeared in court in LA.
Devin Haney has escaped a felony charge of carrying a concealed weapon in a vehicle
As reported by Mail Sport last month, Haney was at a rooftop restaurant in Hollywood, Catch LA, before he and friends were pulled over by police in a routine stop.
Haney was not at the wheel, but the unidentified individual who was driving told police that there was a firearm in the vehicle.
Carrying a concealed weapon in a vehicle is a felony, and perishable by up to a year in prison in California.
Haney recently secured the finest victory of his career, beating Vasiliy Lomachenko in May
Haney has won all 30 of his professional fights and recently secured the victory of his career over Vasiliy Lomachenko.
That win cemented his place as the undisputed champion at lightweight.
But the Las Vegas-based boxer is now slated to move up to super lightweight to challenge fellow American Regis Prograis on October 28.
Prograis (29-1-0) is the WBC champion at 140lbs, having picked up the vacant belt with victory over Jose Zepeda last November.